We have been hearing that this flu season has hit earlier and especially hard.
The best way to protect yourself from the flu is to receive the flu vaccine. You can still become ill if you have been vaccinated but it usually reduces the duration and severity of the illness. There should be no problem with flu shot availability.
Symptoms of the flu include headaches, chills, fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, runny or stuffy nose, and in some cases nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting,
Ways to Protect Yourself from the Flu
- Wash your hands frequently - use soap and warm water and rub together for at least 15 seconds (or 2 rounds of "Happy Birthday").
- Alcohol based hand sanitizers - these should be used when you are unable to use soap and water.
- Avoid touching your face - especially your mouth, eyes, and nose
- Avoid crowded places or closed in places
- Get plenty of rest, eat properly, and exercise regularly - all help your boby resist illnesses
- Stay at least 3 feet away from people who are coughing or sneezing
- Do not share personal items - e.g. utensils, toothbrushes, etc
Ways to Not Spread the Flu
- Cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and immediately throw away and then wash your hands.
- If tissue is not available cough or sneeze into your elbow or sleeve
- Stay home if you feel ill
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that may be contaminated
If You are Ill
- Get lots of rest
- Stay hydrated
- Limit consumption of dairy products
- Take acetaminophen or ibuprophen to help with the aches, pains, and fevers. Remember asprin should not be taken by children and teenagers.
- Gargle with warm salt water to soothe a sore throat.
- Saline nose drops can help relieve a stuffy nose
Most of the time the flu will go away on its own in a few days. However, consult your doctor quickly if any of the your symptoms become concerning.
If you or someone you know would like information about buying, selling, or renting a home in Prince George's, Montgomery, Charles, Calvert, Anne Arundel, Howard, and/or Baltimore Counties please contact Dr. Stacey-Ann Baugh of Century 21 New Millennium.
Dr. Stacey-Ann Baugh
Century 21 New Millennium
FINALLY! A DOCTOR WHO MAKES HOUSE-CALLS!
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed!